Oral cancer is a serious condition that includes all cancers affecting the oral cavity, including the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, cheeks, throat (pharynx), sinuses and hard and soft palate. Detecting oral cancer in its early stages can significantly improve the chances of successful treatment and a positive outcome. In fact, oral cancer is one of the most treatable forms of cancer when diagnosed early.
Here at True Smiles Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, your oral health is our top priority, and we are committed to taking proactive measures to detect and address oral cancers and abnormalities as early as possible. Oral cancer screenings are included in your regular dental cleanings and checkups as an essential component of your care.
Some common warning signs and symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Persistent sore throat or a sensation of something stuck in the throat.
- Unexplained bleeding within the mouth.
- A sore or lesion on the face, neck or in the mouth that does not heal within two weeks.
- Unexplained numbness, pain or loss of feeling in the face, neck or mouth.
- Ear pain without an apparent cause.
- Abnormal lumps, bumps or rough patches on the gums, lips or other oral tissues.
- Red, white or speckled red-and-white patches inside the mouth.
- Difficulty in chewing, speaking or swallowing.
- A noticeable change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together.
While Dr. Olagoke Masha and Dr. Jennifer Ogbuehi conduct routine screenings for oral cancer, we strongly encourage you to reach out to us if you experience any of these symptoms or encounter any other dental concerns. Your prompt action can be critical in ensuring your oral health and overall wellbeing.
If you have any questions about oral cancer screening in Houston, Texas, or to schedule your appointment with our caring and experienced dentists, please call our team at 281-666-9912. We are here to support you in maintaining optimal health and detecting potential issues early to provide the best possible care.